Shoplifting Attorney in Hackensack, NJ
Have you been charged with a theft crime like shoplifting in New Jersey? While many people think that this charge is not very serious, it can lead to mandatory jail time and substantial fines. Additionally, the merchant that you stole from can sue you in civil court to recover damages for the value of what you shoplifted plus a penalty. All of this can mean severe financial repercussions and potentially a loss of your freedom. Finding an experienced shoplifting attorney like Adam M. Lustberg to represent you in court is essential to get you the best results possible for you now and in the future.
New Jersey Shoplifting Charges
- “Traditional” shoplifting is what comes to mind when a person takes possession of merchandise with the intention of not paying for it.
- Illicit concealment is when a person conceals retail merchandise either to deprive the merchant of the use of it or to convert the item to her or her own use without paying its value.
- Altering/removing price tags is when the price tag is changed or removed to purchase the item for less than its full value.
- Switching containers is when a person transfers merchandise to another container to obtain a lower price.
- Underringing merchandise involves a store employee intentionally undercharging for merchandise to deprive the merchant of the full retain value.
- Removing a shopping cart from the premises of a store to permanently deprive the merchant of it or its use.
All of these charges come with penalties which depend largely upon the value of the item(s).
Shoplifting Penalties in Mahwah, New Jersey
Shoplifting penalties in New Jersey all carry some unpaid community service time. The minimum is 10 days and it increases up to 25 days. If you are convicted three times, the judge is then required to sentence you to 90 days or more in jail. This is separate and apart from any civil liabilities that you may be responsible for. The merchant can file a civil case against you for additional damages.
Free Consultation with an Experienced Fair Lawn Shoplifting Lawyer
Charged with shoplifting in Hackensack, Fort Lee, Paramus, Newark, East Orange, or anywhere else in New Jersey? Then you need to contact NJ criminal defense attorney Adam M. Lustberg today to discuss your charges and begin your defense.